What I have written, I have written.

Sunday, November 06, 2005

Romans and Christians

I went to play this fancy little game at the Catholic Church last night, and I have to say, it’s a lot of fun. I was quite impressed with the intricacies of it, and the knowledge that the creator, Andrea (sp?) had. He had pretty much set up the game to chronicle events of the early church, and all of us had roles to play.

I was a philosopher who was supposed to be openly hostile to conversion to Christianity. I had a concubine, and it was a lot of fun to have a concubine. But anyway, I ended up converting because you really can’t do anything in the game, with my role, if you don’t convert.

There are three two-phase days in the game; the two phases are a day and night. During the day Christians are supposed to preach the gospel, make converts, get hassled by the senators and guards, and make ruckus in the city. When there are five minutes left in the day phase Christians must depart and hide in the darkness.

When the night phase starts the roman soldiers pan out to capture the Christians who are hiding in the darkness. If the soldiers capture you they bring you to jail. After your short stint in jail they bring you before the senators and you are allowed to either deny Christ to save your life, or embrace Christ and be crucified. It really shows martyrdom at its finest.

Let me tell you, the amount of historical background they set up at the beginning makes it feel like you, as a Christian, are almost doing something wrong by hiding from your government. But you hide regardless, because you don’t want to be captured. You hide in complete silence, and as I laid there my mind developed all these pictures of people actually have do to this, but when they’re caught it’s not fake.

Laying there thinking over all the people who have been through this or will go through it makes it very real, and when a roman soldier entered the room your heart beats harder than you ever knew it could. When they entered the room I was more aware of my breath, my body, my heartbeat and the blood coursing through your veins than I’ve ever been before. I felt more alive when I thought I was close to death, and it just made me realize that life really is wasted on the living.

Ashley


When desperate static beats the silence up
A quiet truth to calm you down

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home