What I have written, I have written.

Saturday, August 13, 2005

A West Side Story

Band Camp 2005 was semi-eventful. If nothing else, it was very wet. Sometimes it was very hot. I got matching marching blisters on my feet. I also ended up with nearly ten bruises all over my ankles and lower legs from kicking myself while running sideways and backwards at fast tempos.

My bass line consists of Steven, Karri, Dennis, Taylor, and me.

Steven is so very Steven. Occasionally he will run in circles chanting something, or he may take the time to introduce me to the world of cheap Happy Meals. He appears to be my closest form of entertainment whilst marching, because he stands next to me. He has the pleasure of carrying the top drum.

I’m just chillin’. A lot of my time is spent yelling at the tenors and basses to make lines, diagonals, or various other formations. Sometimes I shun responsibility all together. Either way, I play number two.

Karri might have no idea what is going on. I’m actually pretty sure that she doesn’t. There’s not much we can do with her but hope and pray that she will eventually figure it out. In other news, if she ever lets someone convince her that the trees on the horizon of Minnesota are Canada’s border I think I might flip. Dennis and I have decided to give her our old papers in hopes that she will read them and therefore no longer believe the current Pope is from Italy. She attempts to carry number three, and occasionally falls down because she’s marching backwards on her heels instead of her toes.

Dennis showed up to camp one day in bright pink short shorts. They could not compare to the day he showed up in a skort. He still yells just as much as he used to, but I still heart him. He carries number four.

Taylor is the new sophomore, and he’s pretty hardcore tall. It is my goal this year to break him of his fetish for words that demean entire groups of people. He also has the privilege of carrying our bottom drum.

Overall, I think camp went well. Despite all the rain, and ridiculousness, we are further along with the show than we were at this time last year. I love the music, and think the way the field show is written will really enhance the impact of it…when we do it right. D.Haack, J.Pop, & CO. did a great job.

-Ashley

You must remember this,
a kiss is still a kiss
A sigh is just a sigh
The fundamental things apply
As time goes by

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home