What I have written, I have written.

Sunday, January 08, 2006

Not an apology.

I put no stock in organized religion, and I finally said it out loud today. I didn’t care to look around at anyone’s faces to see what they thought of it, because it’s what I think and there is going to be no apologizing for what I think.

It’s not to say that a community of believers getting together to fellowship is inherently wrong, but the absolutely political atmosphere that always emerges is. People get together in camaraderie and end up attempting to claim what power they never had, the power to define God’s will. The power to decide which religion is more holy. They take it upon themselves to define right and wrong, which is simply a judgment they were never meant to make.

To see the actions of fanatics be called the will of God is disgusting. It’s abhorrent. It’s repugnant. It’s every synonym in-between. It’s also prevalent. Hypocritical, bigoted fanatics who will take any opportunity to throw a, pardon the gospel reference, proverbial stone at whatever wrongdoing they see.

The will of God is neither in man made rule, nor is it with the actions of fanatics and bigots. The will of God is in your head and in your heart. It is in right action, bravery on behalf of the weak, and in honor. What you chose each day will either make you a good man or a bad man. Forget traditional dogma. Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright that God may love you. Speak the truth even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless. That is your oath.

This is a lesson that took me a long time to learn. “Please God, protect me from your followers” is a prayer I’ve often prayed while being pushed and pulled from either side to do whatever. But I could not, can not, let these men and women move me, because even when those who are in power beseech me one way or another I know that when I stand before God, I will stand alone. To tell Him that these powerful people implored me this way or that will not suffice, and I must remember it.

If I do something wrong for the right reasons I have faith that God will understand, and if he doesn’t then he is not God, and I need not worry.

Ashley

Cold, cold water surrounds me now

And all I've got is your hand
Lord, can you hear me now?
Or am I lost?

1 Comments:

  • That's a good way to look at things. I am sorry that I have not been better help to you in the decisions that you have made and I wish to here you out. 321-6481. let me know when and where I will see what I can do.

    By Blogger Justin, at 7:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home