What I have written, I have written.

Friday, January 13, 2006

Case in point

My hatred for traditional religious rituals has been aroused. Case in point, the death of three hundred and forty five pilgrims at a stampede during the hajj ritual in Mecca. What are these lives worth? Nothing? Everything, probably. And you're willing to give them up so you can hit pillars with seven stones?

I often wonder if it would not be better to burn all of these places to the ground. To destroy every last holy place that drives men mad. Do you really think God, whoever he is, is looking down upon this mess and saying, "Well done my good and faithful servant?" I guess if you think he is, then all of the lives who have been lost in religious clash are worth it. But I can’t be so sure that these, these conflicts, are how it’s all meant to be sorted out. I guess it’s an important question, “What’s it worth?” Does blood have to be shed to feel like we’ve balanced the great scale in the cosmos?

-Ashley

1 Comments:

  • Romans 3:10..."No one is righteous." So why do these things suprise you? I guess why focus on that which any typical human being knows is wrong. Religion is not about killing people or doing senseless traditions. Knowing how you comprehend ideas I am suprised that this is as deep as your view of religion goes.

    By Blogger Justin, at 11:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home